Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Georgetown, Penang (Malaysia)

I remember I told my boyfriend once that I would like to get paied for traveling around the world and he said that I could blog about trips and maybe one day I will get sponsored. I don't believe this will ever happen but I thought I still could write a bit about my trips.

I will start with my short trip to Georgetown, Penang (Malaysia) in October 2009. It's a few years ago already and I'm upset that I spent only 4 days there. Hopefully, I can go again one day! I have to apologize for the quality of the pics but I just had my mobile phone with me at this time.
 
Actually, I just planned to go to Australia but shortly after I booked my flight with Singapore Airline from Frankfurt/ Main (Germany) to Melbourne (Australia), I decided to make a stopover in Malaysia on my return flight. It was a bit complicated coz I already booked a return ticket and had to book then two one-way tickets for the flights from Singapore to Penang and from Penang to Germany.
I arrived at Singapore Changi Airport on 10/12 (about 10pm) and was so tired that I had to rest for a few hours in the Transit Hotel, since my connection flight was the next morning 7am. Furthermore, I was super sad and cried a lot coz I had to leave my boyfriend and was completely alone again.
After I arrived in Penang at about 9am I took a taxi to the g HOTEL PENANG which would be my 'home' for the next 3 nights.
g HOTEL PENANG
168A Persiaran Gurney
10250 Penang, Malaysia

Unfortunately, my room wasn't cleaned yet and so I had to wait for some more hours which I spent inside the lobby (it was too hot outside).
The women's toilet in the lobby got an aquarium.
My room was on Level 8 and had a nice few at the pool and the coastal.
The standard room was big enough for 1~2 people. I love those King Size beds!!
The hotel TV didn't offer many english channels, so I watched most of the time the Disney Channel. Sadly, I couldn't use the provided internet coz it just didn't work for me. I tried both, WiFi and LAN cable.
On the first day I just went to the nearby Gurney Plaza and ate for dinner at one of those food courts located at the lower level.
Nasi Goreng USA: a very spicy rice dish.
g HOTEL lobby at night.  

The second day I went for lunch to a taiwanese restaurant inside Gurney Plaza and walked around the hotel area. I wanted to walk till Komtar but I canceled the plan coz it was too far and the streets are not really made for pedestrians.
In the evening a friend picked me up with his car and drove me to Batu Ferringhi Beach, where we had a drink at the beach. Afterwards we walked over one of the night markets.
Because of my bad mobile phone cam, I wasn't able to take pics at night!

On my last day I met up with another friend and he brought me to Komtar, Prangin Mall and the Kek Lok Si Temple in Air Itam, near Penang Hill.
 View over Georgetown, Pulau Pinang from Kek Lok Si Temple.
Back to the hotel we took the bus instead of a taxi and I met up with more friends in the evening.
We drove to Queensbay to a pub and played billiard while having some 'Tiger Beers'.
With Wen Chiun & Alex. It was already 1am and nobody is really smiling anymore.... 

All in all, it was a nice short trip but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. Not only because I traveled by myself  but also coz I didn't plan anything at all. Therefore, I spent too much time on the hotel room, thinking about WHERE to go and HOW to go. 
Next time I definitely will change that!!
At least I could get some souvenirs at the night market and on the way up to the temple:
Some plates, keychains, magnets, a card holder, a wallpaper and a STARBUCKS Demitasse Set.

Btw, I booked my flights with Singapore Airline, Malaysia Airline and Lufthansa (domestic flight). The hotel room I booked over www.booking.com!

7 comments:

  1. Reader from Malaysia :) But in Kuala Lumpur~:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I badly wanna go to KL, too. Just saw the airport. ><

      Delete
  2. Oh how nice that you actually drop by my country!
    I also rarely go to Penang but according to my friends who lived there,once you actually knows Penang very well,there are a lot of shopping places(which you could get trendiest fashion..etc..)which is cheapest in Malaysia. I also would want to go there once if I got chance..

    Tourists usually go to beaches,cities or historical places here but its great to see you blog about this ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished I had visited more places in Penang but I didn't know anything about it. >< Now I know that there are busses as well. Next time I will plan it better. ^^

      Delete
  3. You should visit Korea/Japan ~ :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Korea last year, will write a review about this trip later. =)
      And yeah, I plan to go to Japan one day, too. ^^

      Delete
  4. Heyy,i'm a reader from indonesia :), i love ur makeup reviews! Hope u'll visit Indonesia one day, plenty interesting places to visit, plus we're quite near OZ!

    ReplyDelete